Skip to main content

Wrapping Up the Semester


My three strongest blog posts are:

This one feels more developed and does well with contrasting and comparing the forms of ignorance experienced by the narrator in Mark Twain's "The History of a Campaign that Failed" and the boy in Ambrose Bierce's "Chickamauga." It also presents the varying impact of war powerfully.

This blog post exemplifies the specific characteristics of a the trickster; the deceptive diction, manipulation of knowledge, presentation  of self, etc.
This blog post allowed me to develop a deeper understanding of Robert Frost's "Mending Wall" and modernism overall. It also sparked the idea for my critical essay.

I selected these three specific blog posts because of the clarity of point and purpose. In the first post, The Ignorance and Impact of War, the comparison between the two extremely different characters still exemplifies the similarity in their shared ignorance. Twain treated the war as though it were a game and escapade from mundanity, and the boy treated it as though it was childhood game. However, both came to realize the destructive impact of war, whether vicariously or personally. Twain is left with harrowing thoughts and a haunted mind whereas the boy from Chickamauga is left motherless and homeless due to collateral damage. 
The second blog post focuses on analyzing trickster figures in Paul Lawrence Dunbar's "An Ante-Bellum Sermon" and Charles Wadell Chestnutt's "The Passing of Grandison." The post is able to clearly apply the trickster characteristics to specific characters and the impact of their behavior. It presents the playing of stereotypes, use of knowledge, manipulative diction, etc. used by the trickster figures. The post also does well wen utilizing real world applications and incorporating Richard Pryor's character in the 1976 film "Silver Streak." 
The third blog post is the close reading and analysis I completed on Robert Frost's "Mending Wall." I feel like this was a strong analysis of "Mending Wall" because it describes the impact of the specific literary tools, such as metaphors, that Frost utilizes. The blog post also sparked the idea for my critical essay because of the presence of modernist and realist ideals throughout the poem. 

My ideas about literature have surely changed since entering the course. I am more knowledgeable of the literary movements (romanticism, realism, modernism, post-modernism) that took place throughout United States history as well as the differences within each movement. I also know more about the publishing process which is discouraging to a lot of younger writers because of the requirement of a good agent and editor in which a strong relationship can be built.

I would evaluate my own performance as a B probably. I could've practiced better attendance, but it gets a little hard when juggling two jobs and school while not being able to drive. Some of the absences still fall on my own shoulders and could've been prevented with more dedication and drive, but some days are just hard and depression keeps me tethered to the bed. When it comes to the work and comprehension of content, I believe I am able to excel. English has always come easy to me and I'm able to write strong essays and analyze multiple selections with little complication.  

So, if I had to give myself a grade in the class, I would probably choose a low A. The content and assignments never gave me an issue, and I believe I displayed a strong understanding of concepts. But I am also aware of my downfalls in attendance and that does factor into grading. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Follow Up to Matt's Mind's "DuBois v Washington"

I agree with many of Matt's viewpoints on interpreting the differences and similarities between DuBois and Washington especially when considering DuBois's outsider standpoint when looking upon the institution of slavery since the torture was never forced upon him. I also agree with Washington stressing the need for individual changes amongst the newly freed slaves. However, Washington's argument doesn't seem to reverberate with as much power through me because the pride it takes in tilling a field should be placed secondary to securing political power and civil rights. DuBois pushed for these ideals because of the importance they played in everyday life. He was aware that securing these rights would allow that individual tilling a field to eventually rise to owning the land he worked.  It feels as though Washington's docility is what allowed for the encroaching ways of racial repression to return in the south. Constant political pursuit and demand of civil progress

Follow Up to Chad D.'s "Understanding Mowing"

Chad's analysis of Mowing  by Robert Frost reveals a major peculiarity in the Imagism genre. Although the reader is forced to give more thought towards the meaning of each word, the overall message of the poem may become clouded in murky translation. Chad's interpretation of the poem is that it may suggest an individual reaps what they sow; I thought it could be focusing on the simplicity and peace in nature and work, and various sources claim the theme is that hard work is rewarding in itself. The imagism and modernist movements in literature granted great works but many are cloudy to interpret and dreary as well. Frost's other works such as The Road Not Taken  or Mending Wall  utilize more words that convey emotion and thought that issues the reader insight into the mind of the narrator as well as aid in unearthing the meaning. However, this may've been what Frost intended, each reader being able to take away the lessons and emotions they received from the writing.